today is a governors meeting about the school premises and was really quite promising, the school continues to grow and the ideas the head have are really good. We are currently looking at putting in an outside classroom type space the children can use to go and be quite in during breaks and lunches etc. This is a GOOD THING!
So, today is meatloaf day, the texture of meatloaf is NOT improved by making it in a food processor with the blade that does the choppy things. I should have chopped up the onions and garlic and swapped to a dough hook or mixed with my hands!
Here’s the original recipe:
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (ground shoulder roast is good)
- 1 slice bread (broken or chopped finely)
- 1 egg
- 1 small vidalia onions or 1 small type sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2-2/3 cup whole milk or 1/2-2/3 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 -4 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed firm (to taste)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Meatloaf: Combine meat loaf ingredients and place into a loaf baking dish.
- Smooth out top.
- Sauce: Combine sauce ingredients and pour on top and sides of meatloaf.
- Bake at 350°F about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until done.
- *The addition of 1 or 2 teaspoons of Kitchen Bouquet® makes this recipe very good.
- **Recipe should be”plump” from the addition of the milk or Half & Half.
- It should NOT be runny.
Here’s what I did.
Chop up the onion and garlic in the food processor with the choppy choppy blade:
Until it becomes really finely chopped up.
Add the bread until it becomes breadcrumbs and the onion/garlic gets even more chopped.
Add the rest of the ingredients and a bit of meat – I used 750g of mince – blitz. Add more meat, blitz, repeat until all the meat is added.
What I should have done is done it to the point of adding meat then whacked it in a bowl and squiged it with my hands. Squiged IS actually, a valid cooking term 😀
I used half the cider vinegar advised because my stomach gets upset with to much acid, I can’t even drink wine – the things they don’t tell you about having a baby!
I’m not actually sure I took a picture but if I did I’ll post one soon.
Old Cub Picture
New Cub Picture
From now on we’ll just be going with new cub pictures, there is to much of a good thing!
Peace, love and pizza!